Build your career with skills to lead a positive change in the community
Explore effective therapeutic methods and jump into clinical practice with our online Graduate Certificate in Mental Health. This is a nested qualification within the Master of Mental Health, so you can take your studies even further.
Learn more today
Complete the form to learn more about this program.
Cost per subject*
*$493 with a CSP
**Costs are based on 2021-2022 tuition fees. Fees are correct at the time of publishing and are subject to change. Speak with an enrolment adviser for more information.
Take a step towards your in-demand career in the growing field of mental health
Our online Graduate Certificate in Mental Health is designed to support you on your journey to becoming trusted professional in the mental health field. Through industry-based clinical practice you’ll learn the connection between medical, social and psychological health, plus how to give effective care and support to diverse individuals.
As a nested qualification within the Master of Mental Health, you can build your studies and get qualified as you go. Benefit from four career-focused subjects and access to everything you need fully online. You can study anywhere, anytime.
Career outlook: influence positive change as a leader
As the mental health field grows, the need for new professionals is in high demand. When you complete the online Graduate Certificate in Mental Health, you’ll be prepared to pursue a number of rewarding mental health positions with salaries up to $81,793 per year.2 In addition, you’ll also have access to a global alumni network and outstanding industry contacts.Career outlook
When you study our online Graduate Certificate in Mental Health, you’ll learn:
- Clinical mental health practice
- Learn to connect theory and clinical practice and provide high-quality support. Understand the interrelationship between a person’s medical, social and psychological health.
- Develop comprehensive mental health assessment skills and examine diagnostic classifications and formulations used in psychiatry to understand the principles of trauma-informed care.
- Mental health promotion
- Learn how to use evidence-based practice in mental health promotion and mental illness prevention.
- Ethically-oriented practice
- Develop your critical thinking, problem-solving and communication skills and learn to make decisions using ethical frameworks.
Career-focused subjects to prepare you for advanced opportunities
The online Graduate Certificate in Mental Health explores the field’s essential topics and techniques for improving the mental health of others. After completing each subject, you’ll be fully equipped with the skills to take on diverse challenges in your mental health career as a leader.
- MMH4THK Therapeutic Skills
- MMH4CMA Comprehensive Mental Health Assessment
- MMH4MHD Mental Health Diagnosis
- MMH4EPM Experiences and Perceptions of Mental Illness
Can be completed in 4 months*
La Trobe’s online Graduate Certificate in Mental Health helps you build the skills you need to stand out, plus the expertise to excel in your career as a mental health professional. To apply, you’ll need a completed application and the following:
- Successful completion of an Australian bachelor degree (or equivalent).
- Registration as a practitioner with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) OR be a member of a profession where mental health skills can be utilised.
- Eligible professions are: social work, welfare officer, police, prison officer, armed forces, rehabilitation officer, disability worker, addictions worker, pastoral care, teaching, counselling and human resources
- OR be volunteering for a minimum of 3 hours per week with an organisation focused on supporting mental health in the community.
*Students may complete in 4 months with full time study.
Note: Meeting minimum prerequisites does not guarantee an offer of a place. Entry into all La Trobe courses is based on competitive selection and there may be limited places available.
Take the next step in your career with La Trobe and apply today.View the Application Process
The online Graduate Certificate in Mental Health at La Trobe consists of 4 subjects that cost $3,300 each. Fees are correct at the time of publishing and are subject to change.
*$1,972 CSP price
**$493 CSP priceSee fees
Experienced clinicians, researchers and mental health managers have carefully designed and teach our online Graduate Certificate in Mental Health. Committed to your success as a student and a professional, they are committed to providing you with full support and personalised attention as you complete the course.
Phil Maude is Professor Rural Health Nursing (Mental Health). He is also the Course Coordinator for the Master of Mental Health & Master of Mental Health Nursing. Phil has extensive experience as a senior psychiatric nurse at the Alfred Hospital, Community Mental Health and Neuro-Surgical and Addictions Services.
His research focus and areas of interest include;
- Interventions for suicide and de-escalation of violence
- Service delivery and rural mental health
- Authentic assessment in learning
What’s it like to learn online?
As an online student, you’ll work with the same accomplished teachers who deliver our on-campus subjects. You’ll receive one-on-one support and benefit from the same opportunities as our students on campus. However, you’ll get to learn where and when it’s most convenient for you.Discover more
La Trobe online courses are eligible for FEE-HELP for domestic students. Speak with an enrolment adviser. We can help you discover what’s available to help you pay for your course.Talk to us
Frequently asked questions
We’re always happy to chat with you. If you’d rather talk one-on-one or have a question you don’t see answered here, request more information or call (+61 3) 9917 3009.
The Master’s is for health professionals working in mental health, rehabilitation, addictions, etc. The Graduate Certificate is broader in its entry criteria.
A registered or allied health professional without mental health experience could do the Graduate Certificate to gain employment in mental health and then come into the Master’s. A key requirement of the master’s is to be working in mental health.
Looking for more online courses from La Trobe?
- 4-month duration applies to students studying full-time.
- “Average Mental Health Program Manager Salary in Australia.” Payscale. https://www.payscale.com/research/AU/Job=Mental_Health_Program_Manager/Salary. Accessed 14 October 2020.